Below is a list of seminars that I offer. Seminars and courses are arranged privately. For more information contact me.
LANGUAGE ACQUISITION FOR CROSS-CULTURAL EFFECTIVENESS (LACE)Duration: 5 Day Course.
- Working with a language helper
- Personality and personal learning styles
- Going on with language/culture learning
- Pros and cons of various language learning options
- Techniques using photographs and/or objects
- Language acquisition projects (LAPS)
- Total physical response techniques
- Developing connected speech
- Introduction to Semantics
- Introduction to Phonetics
WHO IS WHO IN THE TURKISH AND ARAB WORLDS OF POLITICS, ART AND ISLAMDuration: Either a 1 day seminar or 3 day course
Seminar traces developments in the realms of religion, politics and art through biographical sketches of the main characters who shaped the modern Middle East. We begin with Al-Afghani and end with Nasrallah and such contemporary Turkish and Arab novelists as Pamuk, Safak, and Malouf.
CHRISTIAN-MUSLIM RELATIONS TODAYDuration: Either a 1 day seminar or a 3 day course
- Characteristics of Christian missions during the late Ottoman period
- The "Great Experiment": the failed attempt to reach the Muslim community by reviving the Orthodox churches
- The Christian contribution to the 19th century Arab "Nahda"(Renaissance)
- The World War I debacle
- Inter-War contributions of Samuel Zwemer & Temple Gairdner
- Post W.W.II nationalism, oil wealth & Zionism
- Arab Protestantism and Evangelical mission strategies
- Christian responses to Islamic fundamentalism and American neo-colonialism